Saturday, October 27, 2007

Beggars near temple ...

Yesterday, I went to 'Shiridi Sai Baba' temple in Mylapore, Chennai. Dharsan was good and I saw an aged man inside the temple who was asking for some help. I was touched on seeing him and so donated a small amount to him and moved on.

After my usual prayers I was walking out to the entrance of the temple when an aged lady (should be atleast 55+ yrs) approached me for help. She told me that she is not having money to travel to her hometown. Though initially hesitated I then thought would give her some money. But in my purse there were only few 100's available. So I went to a shop inside the temple premises and enquired whether they can provide me change for Rs. 100/- but they didn't have it. So I made up my mind not to help this lady now. But within a minute there were 5 to 6 beggars around me asking for help. I was really taken back. Just assume yourself being at an entrance of the temple and being surrounded by 5 to 6 beggars. It would be really strange isn't it? So I politely said I am sorry I don't have change now. But they were in no mood to listen to me. They were consistently pressuring me to donate money to everybody which really pissed me off :(

I really understand that those people are not having money for survival so is the reason they are asking others. But still people coming to the temple should not be pressurised like this isn't it! Can't temple management or government do something about this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Vadi,, this thing always hits me in my mind! Why the management just allow it? You won't believe when I go to temples at the age of 6-10, I collect few coins of 50p or Re1 then go and distribute to those people.. i felt it was something like a custom. Now matured enough to understand life and walk alone myself.. i see them them everywhere, Beach, Cinema halls, bus stops, railway station, ... and painful thing is Traffic signal. I think if we need to help is to donate to good charity organization or pay tax genuine.. Tax is one way of contributing to nation!