Sunday, December 9, 2007

Vijay TV is innovative!

Before actually talking about the topic I would like to write a short note on a debate show named ‘Neeya Naana’.

According to me, one of the popular TV shows in Tamilnadu is ‘Neeya Naana’ which is being telecasted on every Sunday @ 9 PM in Vijay TV. The host / anchor Mr. Gopinath drives the show very interestingly and he is one of the very few people I have seen speaking Tamil fluently (that too good Tamil) :)

I like Gopinath because?

1. He talks clearly and to the point
2. I love the way he translates the comments made by a person into a crystal clear Tamil sentence
3. He is assertive
4. Balances the arguments pretty well
5. I presume he is doing the home work well
6. He has a pleasant smile
7. The way he urges the participant to talk for themselves rather than quoting / referring about others
8. etc.,

Is there any change I would like to see in this program?

Yes. There were few instances where I saw people taking advantage of others. I would like Gopinath to step-in and make the point clear that they should not hurt other participants by their words.

Innovation seems to be the motto of Vijay TV

Vijay TV seems to be innovative in bringing in new programs very often and most of the Tamil channels seem to be pretty much copying their concept. These are the shows which they introduced it first among the other Tamil channels:

1. கலக்க போவது யாரு? (Kalakka Povadhu yaru?)
2. Super Singers
3. Super Singers Juniors
4. ஜோடி நம்பர் - 1 (Jodi Number 1 - though I didn’t like it totally for various reasons.)
5. கனா காணும் காலங்கள் (Kanaa Kaanum Kaalangal)
6. Story of Shirdi Sai Baba
7. நியா நானா? (Neeya Naana?)

The concept of the first four in the above list has already been copied by almost all major Tamil channels now. The only difference those channels make is ‘changing’ their program name :)

In my view, Vijay TV is in the top rating (as far as Tamil channels) are concerned in the way they innovate programs and Sun TV is in the last spot in terms of innovation :) [I have just considered these channels, Sun, Jaya, Vijay and Kalainar TV].

Normally I don’t watch TV shows / Serials at all. For the simple fact there would be too much of ladies sentiments, superstitious, waste of time (!!!) etc., but now when ever I am early from office I watch ‘Sai Baba’ serial without fail. Also Kanaa Kaanum Kaalangal was really interesting till the new 11th standard batch was introduced.

One of the popular programs of Vijay TV which I hate is ‘Jodi Number one’. I guess the director of the show likes ladies sentiments too much!! I feel they exaggerate a lot in that show. More than that ‘Jodi Number one – Season 2’ had ‘Simbu’ as one their judges. I presume him to be a publicity freak. He just cries now and then in the show! Also he tries to show himself as too clean, lots of ladies sentiments, too much of self-boasting, tough to get the mike away from him :)

That said, in ‘Jodi Number One – Season one’ I liked Raghav’s performance and really wished he would win the title. Unfortunately he lost in the finals :(

In ‘Jodi Number One – Season Two’ I liked only these two things:

1. Dance performance of ‘Master Sundaram’ (Father of dance Master Prabhu Deva)
2. Few dance steps did by Master Prabhu Deva (I am a hardcore fan of him).

If at all there is a ‘Jodi Number One – Season three’ I would like to see ‘Master Prabhu Deva’ or ‘Master Raghavendra Lawerence’ as judges. Also I wanted to just see the pure performance of the participants without any sentiments attached to it [So that audience won't be influenced based on sentiments!!]

Overall I am impressed by the way Vijay TV has come up in the last couple of years. Now that Vijay TV has set a standard for themself they need to concentrate on maintaining it consistently.

No comments: