Saturday, February 23, 2008

Played Cricket in Dallas

Today (23rd Feb, 2008) my Manager in DFW, Venket introduced me to the cricket team in which he is playing here. Based on their request, I played for them today as a Wicket keeper.

Its been one year since I played Cricket! Jan'07 was the last I played Cricket for my company in Chennai. I was actually bit nervous in the beginning to play for them as:

1. They play 40 overs match a side (I was used to playing max 25 to 30 overs) match only in Chennai. I was not sure whether I would have stamina to keep wickets for 40 overs.

2. It was windy and pretty chill in the morning :)

3. I don't have my guard :)

4. Since I have a ligament tear in my left knee I used to play only with my 'Knee caps' on. That too I haven't brought it here.

I decided to take my chances and played the match. Overall I was happy on the way I played today after a break of more than 1 year. I got decent appreciation from the team mates here on the way I kept. They have asked me to come to practice and play with them during this summer league! Let's see how far this goes :)

Though playing cricket after a long break was really interesting I felt that the bowling attack of our team in Chennai was better. In VDSI, Chennai team, Sebastian, Karunanidhi and Saravanan were pretty good in the bowling department. Seba and Karuna swings the ball very effectively and I really enjoy keeping for them :) Saravanan is a kind of person who is unstoppable once he gets the start going on his way. Seba used to be very consistent in the line in which he bowls. We would be really excited to see how Karuna bowls his first over. If he gets the swing in his first over then he would end up getting atleast 3 wickets in his spell. He is really unplayable when he swings the ball. Overall a pretty good bowling attack to have in a team. Offlate, I miss the VDSI cricket team, In this one year I am not sure how much these 3 guys have changed!

But as far as Speed is concerned there was a guy named Manoj in my previous company (Agenda Net marketing alias 3rd Agenda) who used to bowl at express speed. He was terrific and is a strike bowler. Within his first 3 overs he used to surely take a wicket. The best part is he used to maintain the same speed for his complete spell. He moved to HCL but now I don't have contacts with him.

Needless to say, I am very tired now and hope to sleep for extra hours tomorow to give my body some rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vadi,

It was very nice going thr your blog.

Vadi...Guard podanum illla...GOD than kappathanummmmm.

I still remember the days at YMCA, Maria and Sethu were new to VDSI Cricket.. got the intro to the so called selection people thr a fentastic player "The Vadivel............lllllllllll" :) summa comedy

I moved into VDSI 11 member team as a keeper..neenga illala....i took the oppurtunity...eppadi nambaa idea.!!!! and had a very nice time with all the people..i too enjoyed playing for VDSI.

When you are back...if possible we will play here man.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!


M.Maria

Vadivel said...

>>Guard podanum illla...GOD than kappathanummmmm.

Good one :)