Monday, March 10, 2008

Who am I?

By seeing my passport
In abroad, people call me as Indian
But in my own country
I still don't know who I am? :(

Within India, I'm a South Indian
Within India, I'am also called as Madrasi
Within Madras/Chennai I am a Tamilian!
Does anyone know who I am ?

To the Muslims/Christians/?? I am a Hindu
To the Hindus I'm a Pillai (or anyother caste name)
Do tell me who I am!!

For my wife I am a husband
For my parents I am a son
For my teachers I am a student
.....
Don't I have one single identity?

When people are being known by their language
When people are being known by their religion
When people are being known by their caste
When people are being known by their race :(
Can somebody say who I am?

I wish people just call me as a (nice) 'Human' and
not to bother about anything else.
That way I will know 'Who I am'!

Updated: I have put 'Human' now instead of 'Indian' as I have used in my original version. Actually I was thinking in that line but didn't change it because i felt I started by saying 'Indian' so let me finish it by 'Indian'. I know stupid logic :) But one of my friend Tejas asked me the same question. So i made the modification immediately :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hai 'Human Anna' your poem was good..Enaku oru unmai theriyanum unaku US poi edho achu..CID vechi kandu pidika solli iruken..Result varatum..:)